Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thursday Reading

Hi Folks,

The first page of the Facing South blog has a lot of interesting posts for tomorrow's reading.

Pay special attention to:
1. Formaldehyde presents special problems for Katrina's children
2. Nagin to present upbeat "State of the City" amid ongoing social disaster
3. Jena 6 case still unfolding
4. Anti-coal pranksters target Duke Energy CEO at home
5. A day to remember
6. Coal lobby responds to Facing South report on deceptive phone call
7. Big Coal makes deceptive phone calls on climate change legislation

Also, remember that they are organized by newest first, so it would be better to read from the bottom up.

Best,
Dagny

1 comment:

Mari said...

Well I can start of by saying that in my opining I felt as if the "Floc Story", was very interesting and very shocking. I believe that the student who presented this issue did a really good job because she had a lot of examples from this story in which I was able to relate my self in or even my family. Im sure that this reading actually did make all of us think about all the strength these workers have to put in order to be able to provide us with our food at markets. I don’t think many people realize those kinds of things because they do not have to go through those struggles. I think that most of us students don’t think about the deprived conditions these workers have to go through well "helping to provide other Americans with this essential commodity, for which they may receive less than 1% of the price you pay for the food you eat". And I agree with this because I don’t think these workers get paid what they should be getting paid for the work they do and the conditions they work at.
One of the things I really enjoyed about this presenter was that she brought really good points while she presented and like the fact that she brought up Urbano Ramirez’s story, his story to me was very shocking I could not believe how it took 2 weeks for them to find his body and to know that the supervisors were not even the ones who found him. This comes to explain that field work supervisors don’t care for there workers all they care about is getting the money and getting there products out